Questioning God’s Plan

Is it okay to question God's plan? 

I've done it plenty of times but felt guilty for doing so and I've been mulling it over recently. In Luke chapter 1, the angel Gabriel appears to Zacharias who was in the temple. Gabriel told Zacharias that his wife Elizabeth would have a son. And Zacharias said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years." Now jump to verse 34 when Gabriel appears to Mary to tell her she will conceive a Son and call Him Jesus and Mary has a similar response in v34 "How can this be, since I do not know a man?" Both are similar questions when reading over them, but they got two completely different responses from Gabriel, which makes it clear to me that both questions didn’t have the same attitude behind them.

Zacharias asked his question in doubt. Like, "how will I know this will happen because my wife and I are really old" It was hard not to read Gabriel's response with a hint of sarcasm in his tone. v19-20  "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presence of God, and was sent to speak to you and bring these glad tidings. But behold, you will be mute and not able to speak until the day these things take place, because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time."

Zacharias had an angel appear and tell him he would have a son and he pretty much asks, “well how will I know this though?” and Gabriel says “because..... I'm Gabriel who stands in God's presence and He sent me to talk you?”….kind of like, “whatcha mean how will you know???” Anyone that says comedy doesn't exist in the Bible and makes it all serious hasn't tried reading this with a little sarcasm in Gabriel’s voice and one eyebrow raised. 

Anyway, on to Mary. 

Gabriel appears to Mary and after he tells her that God is going to use her to fulfill prophecy and she's going to bear the Son of God, her question wasn't one of doubt like Zacharias'. His questioning came more from a place of limiting Gods abilities. When Mary questioned the news Gabriel brought her, she wasn't struck mute or given any consequence. I believe that's because Mary was asking from a standpoint of not understanding how God’s plan was going to work, because she knew what was required to conceive a child. So her questioning seems to come more from a place of confusion or curiosity than doubt or limitation. So, this leads me to believe that when questioning God’s plan, if we ask from a more humble place and acknowledge that we just don't understand how its going to happen, He may be more likely to respond with answers that help us connect the dots instead of responding with consequences for questioning His plan.

So, my understanding is that asking “how?” while questioning God’s ability to do it is wrong. For example, while I acknowledge God has a plan for my court case and prayer requests, unfortunately Gabriel hasn't come to tell me what's going to happen. But, I'm told in the Bible not to worry and that God has a plan that's for good, not evil and it's a for my good, etc etc. 

So, if I pray saying "I know you say you have a plan and you'll work this out for good. But, because the past 7 years have gone so bad, I think the judge is just going to deny what we file”, then the second I start shooting down anything God could do for me before He even has a chance to do it, what makes me think He would give me what I’m praying for?

Mary’s question was out of genuine confusion. Had Gabriel left her hanging and told her “you're going to have a child named Jesus. Good luck, bye!” then that would have left the door open for her to mess it up by trying to do it on her own understanding. So, by asking “how?”, she opened up the door for God to speak more clearly to her through Gabriel. 

Sometimes God’s plan doesn’t require us to do anything other than be a vessel and other times He needs us to act. I believe if we question His plan in order to better understand what way He wants to use us, He's okay with questions and may be willing to give more clarification if it’s needed. All this to say, I have felt conviction for questioning His plan in terms of wondering how He is going to move. I'm sure there will be somebody who reads this that is struggling with the same thing. Maybe this helps. We’ve stared right into the face of a giant financial issue and chose to lean on His promise for provision and have been able to watch as He’s provided all along the way. I said “I don't know HOW it will come” and God provided the retainer.

I don't know if total vindication will come or not. I do know however it goes, He's already gone before me and prepared the way. I know He's a just God who hates false witness, so based on what scripture says about God’s character, I do believe what I'm praying for isn't outside of His nature and completely possible. I have many “how?” questions, but trusting what the Bible says and what God has repeatedly done for me, it makes my “how?” turn more into “when?”

Lastly, (I feel like I'm rambling) the biggest “How?”should be "How can this be used for good to further God’s kingdom? " That can be as simple as the next time you find yourself broke with a stack of bills due and God provides a way for them to be paid, look for an opportunity to share that with someone else that's stressed about money. He did it for me and He will do it for you. 

And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." Matthew 21:22





Comments

Popular Posts