Our Story, His Glory

 I've written on John 11 before, when Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. I was revisiting it this morning and something new jumped out at me. Chapter 11 starts out letting us know Lazarus was sick.

 v3 "therefore the sisters sent to Him, saying, " Lord behold the one whom you love is sick. " 

What stood out to me was the next verse. 

v4 "when Jesus heard that, He said, " This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of Man may be glorified through it." 

Jesus let them know the sickness wouldn't end the story in death. Death was still involved though, even after Jesus told them the sickness isn't unto death. This was a great example and reminder to me that even if God promises something to us, we may have to walk though a valley where it seems like its over before we get to the good part. When I feel discouraged I try to remember passages like this and do the best I can with my mustard seed of faith to know its not over and He has a plan to see it through. The sickness didn't end the story in death. My story didn't end when people said its over, it ends with prison. Just like death was involved for a short time in Lazarus' story, prison is involved for a while in mine, but it doesn't end there. The same God that raised the dead to life can turn this around for His glory. What area of your life does this apply to? Just because it looks like all hope is lost doesn't mean throw in the towel. That’s our queue to lean into faith. 


We all know Romans 8:28:

"and we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, and are called according to His purpose."  

Pump the brakes though. That doesn't mean God’s going to make everything good (comfortable) in our eyes. The coffee mug scripture is taken out of context way too often and people are found saying things like, "I just got laid off work. That means Gods going to give me a better paying job and work it for my good!"  Well, maybe He is. Or maybe He's putting you through a season of financial stress to get your attention and put you in a place where you're forced to finally look up for provision. The next verse often left off of the bumper stickers actually explains what God working everything for good to mean.  

v29" For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren."

"to be conformed to the image of His Son" that is what Him working all things for good means. In my eyes prison is in no way working something out good for me. In His eyes it was the only environment that I would ever get to truly know Him as protector from danger, provider of my needs, comforter, friend etc. With all the distractions at home and all the things I can do to work and "control" outcomes there, I never would have grown as close to God without coming here. It hurts in the moment, but God won't compromise our longterm growth for short term comfort. God walks us through valleys to get rid of what's not needed and He does it for our good. Whatever you're walking through, as hard as it is, God is preparing to use that season as a testimony to reach somebody that maybe only you and your experiences can reach. 


Luke 21:12-13 "But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, deliver you up to synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My names sake. But it will turn out for you as an occasion for testimony." 


Whatever hardship you are faced with, it will turn out as an occasion for testimony if you let it. Every hardship we face has the same potential to encourage someone as the examples He has given us in His word of people God moved for. Not everything was written down for us to see all that Jesus did but we can definitely share everything He does in our lives.

John 21:25 "and there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written. amen." 

Our faith is strengthened in the documented miracles in Jesus’ time on earth and there were so many more that we don't know about. Imagine the encouragement we can provide people if we share everything in our lives God does for us big or small. I don't have a scribe following me around to record all God has done for me, but I think one of the biggest things I can do to lead others to Christ, or encourage other believers in Christ, is share what God does for me. 

People believe the lies of the devil that say God doesn't work miracles anymore. The very fact the God and Creator of the universe hears my prayer at all is a miracle by itself. Then consider even the smallest answered prayer, that's also a miracle because He owes me nothing at all. I still get to walk boldly into His throne room with my problems and requests. God still works miracles. The problem isn't Him doing them, the problem is we refuse to see them. I pray God moves so powerfully in my life that people get to witness firsthand a modern day miracle. psalm 40:2-3:

"He has also brought me up out of a horrible pit,out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock,and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth - Praise to our God  many will see it and fear, and will trust the Lord." 


I’ve had several friends struggling with job issues with lots of closed doors. I'm encouraged in here to see them not give up and God open the right door for them at the right time. Whatever the Lazarus dying in your life is, take heart because we know the story doesn't end there. God has a plan to show off. From Joseph, to Job, to the disciples. It’s in times of the most confusion and discouragement that God seems to like to move the most, if we just trust Him. 




Comments

Popular Posts