Tame the Tongue: What’s In Your Milk Carton?

 James chapter 3 deals with how powerful the tongue is and the war to tame it. Proverbs is loaded with verses about our mouths. From answering matters before hearing all the details in Proverbs 18:13, to bearing false witness in proverbs 19:5 and 19:9, to any fool being able to start an argument but it’s honorable for a man to stop trying to argue in 20:3. 

"he who has knowledge spares his words and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is considered wise when he holds his peace. When he shuts his lips he is considered perceptive." Proverbs 17:27-28

"a soft answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1 

"the truthful lip shall be established forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment." Proverbs 12: 19

Anyway, you get my point. Now let's get back to James:

"for we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able to also bridle the whole body. Indeed, we put bits in horses mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles. And the tongue is a fire , a world of iniquity.  The tongue is so set among our members that defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the corpse of nature and it is a set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not be so." James 3:2-10

Verse 10 sure is a convicting verse for me. I bless my Father with my mouth and curse men. That shouldn't happen but it’s so easy to fall into. From living with general population drug addicts that shouldn't be in my dorm constantly acting up and getting high to focusing on some publicly proclaimed Christians bearing false witness against me, my tongue doesn't do the Lord any favors whatsoever when it comes to kingdom work.

 The number one thing non believers point out and use as an excuse to stay away from church is what we believers say with our tongues vs. how we act. I've focused really hard on pointing out my own negativity and hateful comments along with those around me the past few days. I am disgusted to notice so much negativity and hate. It’s no wonder anger, depression, and negativity are such struggles in our lives. What’s inside will come out. 

Take two milk cartons that look identical and aren't transparent. One has spoiled milk inside and one has fresh milk. Open both cartons and a nauseating odor belches out of one while nothing bad comes out of the other. What's inside will come out when the mouth is opened. Take the fresh milk out of the fridge where it’s supposed to be and sit it on the counter with the bad milk and the good milk will spoil also. But you can’t just place the bad milk back in the fridge to restore the freshness in the carton. Someone has to empty the spoiled stuff, clean the container and fill it back with good milk. Just like our Father does for us. 

Our job is to make sure whats inside doesn't stink. It will come out for people to notice if its spoiled inside.

I'm challenging myself and everyone else to watch our mouths. Self evaluate and make sure we learn from the things we have said in the past while trying to be sure the things we say in the future make our Father happy. There's no guesswork or manipulating what the Bible says about what sort of speech and conduct is pleasing or displeasing to God. 

False witness? Don't do it. There's no "well.... (insert justification to feel better)”. God is a just God whose Word speaks against false witness and says numerous times that it won't stand.

Letting bitterness sprout up in me and come out of my mouth? Unacceptable. Check it and change course. 

Not praying for my enemies? The Bible says to do it, so I have no excuse not to. If I'm praying for my enemies and giving it to God like I'm supposed to, then it kills the bitterness and stops bad things from coming out of my mouth. I've learned its not a one and done thing to pray and be done with. It’s a daily task to de-weed and make sure it doesn’t sprout back up. 

What's in your milk carton that needs to be cleaned out and refilled by God? Let's make sure we aren't blessing God and cursing men from the same mouth. 



Comments

Popular Posts